Maximizing productivity: Working remotely from a hotel room
In the digital age, and the post-COVID reality, remote work has become increasingly common and, at times, necessary. While many remote workers have set up home offices, there are occasions when working from a hotel room is the most practical option. Whether you’re a business traveler, a digital nomad, or just in need of a change of scenery, this article will provide you with essential tips and strategies to work remotely effectively from a hotel room.
Stay in a Routine
To stay productive while working remotely, establish a daily routine:
- Set Regular Hours: Determine your work hours and stick to them. It can be tempting to continue working long after you would in a traditional office since your environment won’t change once you clock out. But it’s important to separate your day into professional and personal time so you don’t overdo it.
- Take Breaks: Schedule regular breaks to recharge. Step outside for fresh air or a short walk. And once you’re done working for the day, be sure to go check out local restaurants and events to ensure you’re leaving the hotel and doing something enjoyable. Most hotels have great recommendations at the front desk.
- Meal Planning: Plan your meals and snacks to avoid last-minute distractions or unhealthy eating habits. There is a full kitchen in each My Place room to make cooking and storing all your own meals easy and efficient.
Hotels can be filled with tempting distractions. Here’s how to stay focused:
- Do Not Disturb: Use the “Do Not Disturb” sign to prevent interruptions from housekeeping.
- Noise-Canceling Headphones: Invest in quality noise-canceling headphones to drown out any unwanted sounds.
- App and Website Blockers: Use website blockers or productivity apps like Asana to limit time spent on social media or non-work websites.
Remote work doesn’t mean you have to work in isolation:
- Virtual Meetings: Use video conferencing tools like Zoom or Skype for team meetings to maintain a sense of connection.
- Chat and Collaboration Tools: Utilize team communication apps like Slack or Microsoft Teams to stay in touch with colleagues.
- If other coworkers are traveling with you, plan to take breaks together or grab dinner after work. You could even work alongside each other if both parties agree to it!
Working remotely comes with cybersecurity concerns. Ensure you’re protecting your data:
- Secure Wi-Fi: Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to encrypt your internet connection and protect sensitive information. Rest easy knowing that every My Place Hotel’s Wi-Fi network is equipped with security features, keeping your personal information and online activities safe.
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA): Enable 2FA for all your work accounts to add an extra layer of security.
*Ask your IT department if you’re unsure about these items
And most importantly…
Stay in the Right Hotel
Selecting the right hotel is crucial to your remote work success.
- Reliable Wi-Fi: A strong and secure internet connection is non-negotiable. Research the hotel’s Wi-Fi speed and stability before booking. For example, each My Place Hotel is equipped with high speed, reliable internet.
- Workspace: Ensure the room has a comfortable desk or workspace with ample power outlets. Request a room with a view to boost your motivation. My Place creates your professional space for you with a convenient table and chairs or desk in every room!
- Quiet Environment: Look for a hotel in a quiet location to minimize distractions. Avoid hotels near noisy areas like construction sites or busy streets.
- Amenities: Check if the hotel offers on-site services like printing and scanning to assist with your work tasks. Cough cough, My Place Hotels feature a business center with all these capabilities.
If you do decide to stay at a My Place Hotel, don’t forget to Stay Rewarded®! Our loyalty program is free, and points are easy to redeem…Not to mention the fabulous perks!
- Earn points on qualified stays, redeemable for a VISA prepaid eGift card which can be used at any My Place Hotel to take dollars off a future stay! Or treat yourself to a wide variety of eGift cards from popular air travel business, retailers and restaurants.
- Receive access to exclusive offers
- Complimentary bottle of water at check-in
- Early check in-late check out
Learn more or login to your account at myplacehotels.com/stayrewarded
Working remotely from a hotel room can be a productive and positive experience if done correctly. By perfecting your setup, sticking to a schedule, and finding good work/life balance, you can maximize your productivity and make the most of your remote work experience. Who knows – your hotel room could become your preferred, professional oasis!
Ready to book your next work stay at My Place? Click here to check availability!